Friday, August 10, 2012

The Beauty of Qaqortoq, Greenland

I like to take walks around Qaqortoq and take photo's.  Some photo's might be of blossoms, while others might be of brightly painted houses, icebergs and whatever else that might catch my eyes.  I also like to go to the flower shop and take photo's what might be interesting there as well. 
                                                      Achillea ptarmica - Sneezewort
I saw these cool little flowers on my way to the library.  I thought I wasn't going to get to write much about this particular plant because I couldn't seem to put an ID on it but looks like I have located the name of the plant. Yay! This particular set of photo's of this particular blossom seems late in blooming to my observation. These seem to be the first ones I've seen since the late spring season started.  There has been lots of blossoms but I haven't taken one photo of this particular Genus since I started this season.
This is an attractive, erect, medium sized perennial which grows in damp grassy places and marshes. The daisy-type flowers (12-20mm) are made up of broad, short rays (petals) and the center is a disc of tubular florets.  They are borne on tall stems (to 60cm) in flat clusters from July to September.
 The leaves of Sneezewort are stalkless, narrow and have finely serrated edges.  I am not sure if this is a native plant to Greenland however this plant belongs to the family Asteraceae. 

I'm amazed at the amount of flowers I see all over this small town.  Despite the rocky areas, and the subarctic terrain, plants seem to thrive here.
This plant, which is highly valued by insects, is poisonous to sheep, cattle and horses.  The dried leaves were used to make a type of snuff and a sneezing powder, as the name might suggest, and also the dried flowers were used to make a tea, which was a remedy for head colds and headaches. 

There doesn't seem to be enough information locally to learn more about this particular plant of the so many other ones that I have taken multiple photo's of.  The language barrier also prevents me from learning more as well so it's possible that I will make mistakes with identifying some plants.  So if you're reading this and you know more than me and feel that what I have given an identification to is incorrect, please feel free to notify me and direct me to the site of the correct identification of plants I may mistakenly identified.
Down below for more information of these plants as well as I wanted to make sure there was links from where I gained the information to identify these plants. I think they are very interesting to look at.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=240&wildflower=Sneezewort

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/sneezewort

No comments: